Prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 medium head purple or green cabbage
¼ cup diced yellow onion
½ teaspoon stevia glycerite (optional)
¼ cup beef or chicken bone broth (page 42)
¼ cup bacon fat, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Liberally grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with bacon fat.
- Cut the cabbage into 6 wedges, keeping the core attached so the leaves stay intact after cooking. Lay the wedges in the greased dish in a single layer. Add the diced onion.
- If using the stevia, add it to the broth and mix well. Pour the broth and melted bacon fat over the cabbage. Season with the salt and pepper. Seal tightly with a cover or aluminum foil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, uncover and gently flip the wedges. Place the cover back on and return to the oven. Cook for another hour.
- Just before serving, remove the cover, increase the heat to 425°F, and bake for 15 minutes, or until browned.
BUSY FAMILY TIP: Make extra wedges of cabbage for the week. Make sure you let the braised cabbage cool before storing in the fridge. It will keep for up to 3 or 4 days.
Nutritional Info (per serving)
fat1 4.2 g
protein 3.1 g
carbs 13 g
fiber 5.8 g
For more great recipes like these check out this book!