Philly “cheese” Steak Stuffed Portobello’s
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
2 pounds strip loin
8 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
3 tablespoons MCT oil, melted duck fat, or lard, divided
Fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
For the onions and peppers
2 tablespoons lard, duck fat, or coconut oil (or unsalted butter if not dairy-sensitive)
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup Dairy-Free Nacho Cheese Sauce (page 64)
- To make the steak very easy to slice, place it in freezer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Make the onions and peppers: Heat the 2 tablespoons lard in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook slowly until the onion is golden brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (you may need to turn the heat to low).
- Meanwhile, prepare the portobellos: Place the portobello caps on a rimmed baking sheet gill side up and brush with 1 tablespoon of the MCT oil. Roast the caps for 12 minutes, until light golden brown and fork-tender. Remove them from the oven and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a griddle or grill pan over high heat. Remove the steak from freezer and slice it very thin. Brush the steak slices with the remaining 2 tablespoons of MCT oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 45 to 60 seconds per side.
- When the onions have cooked 30 minutes and are fully caramelized, increase the heat to medium and add the bell peppers. Season the peppers and onion with the salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes, until the peppers are softened.
- Assemble the stuffed mushrooms: Place several slices of the meat in each baked portobello mushroom cap and top with the “cheese” sauce and sautéed peppers and onion.
Nutritional Info (per serving)
Fat 57 g
Protein 31 g
carbs 5 g
fiber 1.3 g
For more great recipes like these check out this book!