Prep time: 8 minutes, plus up to 2 days to cure
Cook time: 3 hours
Yield: 4 servings
3 tablespoons fine sea salt
2 heads roasted garlic (see page 46) or 4 cloves raw garlic, smashed
½ cup diced shallot or yellow onion
6 sprigs fresh thyme
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
4 duck legs with thighs
4 duck wings, trimmed
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 cups duck fat
¼ cup coconut oil or duck fat, for reheating
Sliced endive, for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt in the bottom of a dish large enough to lay the duck in a single layer. Evenly spread 1 head of roasted garlic, half of the diced shallot, and half of the thyme, nutmeg, and cloves in the dish on top of the salt. Place the duck, skin side up, over the salt and spice mixture, then spread the remaining salt, garlic, shallot, thyme, nutmeg, and cloves on the duck. Top with a touch of pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 225°F.
- Place the 4 cups of the duck fat in a medium-sized saucepan and melt over medium heat. Wipe the salt and seasonings off the duck. Place the duck pieces close together in a single layer in a baking dish with high sides. Pour the melted fat over the duck so that all the pieces are covered in fat.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake slowly until the duck is fork-tender, about 2½ to 3 hours. Remove from the oven. Cool and store the duck in the fat to preserve it. This will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- When ready to serve, heat the ¼ cup of coconut oil or duck fat in a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Once the oil is hot, place the duck in the skillet skin side down and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and place on a serving platter.
- Garnish with sliced endive, if desired.
BUSY FAMILY TIP: Make a double batch and store in airtight containers in the freezer for up to 3 months for easy dinners.
Nutritional Info (per serving)
Fat 57.8 g
protein 29 g
carbs 5.5 g
fiber 0.7 g
For more great recipes like these check out this book!